St. Peter's Episcopal Church
and Montessori School
The Church office is officially CLOSED during the Shelter in Place for Covid-19. Mail will still be processed each day.You may reach church staff by email or their mobile numbers! We will host a virtual Zoom meeting on Tuesdays at 3:00 pm. You can get the passcode from various people.
"That it may please thee to support, help, and comfort all who are in danger, necessity, and tribulation, We beseech thee to hear us, good Lord." --the Great Litany, BCP page 151.
A Message from the Bishop
Alleluia! Christ is Risen!
I am so proud of you all. In the last weeks, I have seen creativity and bravery among our clergy and lay leaders as they simultaneously addressed the COVID-19 crisis and came up with safe ways for their congregations to experience a Holy Week and Easter unlike any we have done before. Some did so with technological acumen; others did so by giving people resources they could use at home. Some of the technology worked; and some of it didn't. If you're one of the people who found this Easter surprisingly meaningful--wonderful! If you're one of the people who found it empty and disappointing--that's alright, too.
Jesus was raised anyway. Alleluia.
It is time to shift some of our responses to COVID-19 in the Diocese, now that the pressure of Holy Week and Easter is past.
- First: take the time you need to recover. If you are someone who has been working non-stop; take a couple days to breathe, stay home and safe, and regain your strength. There is a long road ahead.
- To that end, I am in consultation with Dr. Beth Sikkora about providing additional mental health resources for clergy in the coming weeks.
- I am extending the suspension of public, in-person worship in our congregations until May 25, 2020, pending any additional instructions from the Governor of Arizona. On April 23, the Standing Committee and I will be discussing what criteria we wish to establish for safely reopening worship and other activities in congregations.
- The Episcopal Asset Map has added a layer for specific COVID-19 ministries and responses. I encourage all congregations who are seeing increases in needs in their outreach ministries (like food pantries, meal programs, etc.) to fill out the form. This asset map will allow the Diocese and other parishes to know what ministries to actively support in the coming weeks and months. As this crisis continues, your outreach ministries are going to be ever more important, and I wish us to be able to gather together and support the most economically vulnerable among us.
- Canon Bill Potts and Treasurer Suzy Mortensen had an excellent conversation with many of you last week about the Paycheck Protection Program and other resources. If you have received one of the PPP loans, or have additional questions, please direct them to Bill via email. We are hoping to be able to gain wisdom from one another as we attempt to receive these resources.
- My weekly Zoom gatherings with clergy will continue on Wednesdays at 3:00 p.m. and Thursdays at 9:00 a.m., focusing on outreach and talking through "What if... ?" scenarios in our congregations.
- Diocesan Staff continue to work from home. The best way to reach them is via email, and they are eager to be in contact with you if the need arises.
Personally, I want to thank you to all of you who have prayed for Nathan this week. His surgery on Friday was a success, removing the AVM that was a threat to his life. The surgery has caused some renewed weakness on his left side, which was not surprising. Hopefully he will be home from the hospital later this week, and able to recover in a more relaxed environment.
Yours in the Risen Christ,
The Rt. Rev. Jennifer A. Reddall
Sixth Bishop of Arizona
The Reverend James C Rhodenhiser
Rector, St. Peter's Church
400 S Old Litchfield Road
Litchfield Park AZ 85340
CONTACT INFO & OFFICE HOURS
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and instructions from our bishop, all services and events are cancelled until further notice. Small groups may meet on a case by case basis. Update communications to the congregation will be through REALM and MailChimp email.